Subject: Re: DST and TIMEZONE
To: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1996 14:10:47
You aren't quite using the options the way you are supposed to...

VaX#n8 writes:
> I've got a system clock set to the appropriate time.  It does not
> appear to have a Daylight Savings Time option.

No hardware clock has a DST option.

> This is an AWARD
> PnP BIOS (sorry for the i386-centricism).  The kernel has:
> options		DST=1
> options		TIMEZONE=360		# minutes west of GMT (for param.c)

This is almost certainly NOT what you want to be doing. See the latest
options.4 for details. DST and TIMEZONE are for use only on
multibooted machines.

> I am in US Central timezone.
>
> Although /etc/localtime.readme says:
> This is a copy of the /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Central file.
> I cannot use a symlink since /usr is not mounted at boot time.

So just make a copy of it.

> I just noticed the system reports the time incorrectly:
> Sat Nov 16 22:54:52 CST 1996
> When it is really 23:54...
>
> so what am I doing wrong?

You are setting the DST option, among other things.

Perry