Subject: Re: DST and TIMEZONE
To: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1996 11:32:49
On Sat, 16 Nov 1996, VaX#n8 wrote:
> I've got a system clock set to the appropriate time.  It does not
> appear to have a Daylight Savings Time option.  This is an AWARD
> PnP BIOS (sorry for the i386-centricism).  The kernel has:
> options		DST=1
> options		TIMEZONE=360		# minutes west of GMT (for param.c)
>
> I am in US Central timezone.

DST should be 0... it tells whether your clock is set to standard time or
daylight savings time. You'll have to change it to 1 in April, when the
switch to DST occurs.

Which reminds me... could DST and TIMEZONE (or at least DST) be made into
a sysctl? It's annoying to have to recompile a kernel just because of a
DST change. (I run DOS/Windoze stuff, so I can't just set my clock to UTC
and leave it that way)

> My /etc/localtime is actually a symlink:
> lrwx------  1 root  wheel  30 Nov 16 17:21 /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Central

Yeah, so is mine, and everything seems to work fine...
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++