Subject: Re: serial line ideas
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1996 10:14:15
> The other thing, of course, is that LCK..ttyXX locking is pretty much
> universial in communications programs.  Taylor UUCP uses it.  mgetty
> uses it.  ixopage uses it.  All of these programs, and more, would
> suddenly become incompatable with NetBSD (except for Taylor UUCP,
> presumably, since that's in our source tree) and would need to be
> modified by anyone wanting to use them in a dial-in/dial-out
> situation.

Not at all.  They can go ahead and fuss with LCK..ttyda and LCK..cua if
they want; it won't hurt anything.  If the sysadmin chooses to make
them use the same /dev name, those locks will be necessary, and they
will interact badly with programs that don't understand such locking.
If the sysadmin chooses to use the kernel dialin/dialout support, the
LCK..* files will be unnecessary fluff that doesn't really hurt
anything, and programs that don't grok them will still Just Work - at
least to the extent that the kernel support works. :-)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
		     01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D