Subject: Re: serial line ideas
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@web.net>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/14/1996 16:13:51
On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> [ On Sat, November 9, 1996 at 18:25:49 (-0800), Don Lewis wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: serial line ideas
> >
> > I worry about things like putting the pid in the lock file for such
> > purposes.  What if the process holding the lock dies without removing
> > the lock file, and when you get around to checking on who is holding the
> > lock, the process ids have wrapped around and some innocent process now
> > has that pid?
>
> Hopefully the process doing the killing is running as "uucp" or
> something similar and can't kill your average innocent process.

I'm not sure where the killing comes in here; in my proposal (and
in all implemenations of LCK..ttyXX files I'm aware of) nothing
gets killed. There's just a check to see if a process with that
PID is currently running, and if there is, the lock is assumed to
be valid.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.