Subject: Re: kernel symbol tables (was Re: vmstat, iostat etc no longer work?)
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Grey Wolf <greywolf@siva.captech.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/14/1996 09:58:13
Chris G Demetriou sez:
#
# Also, while i'm at it...  8-)
#
# The case previously discussed re: install kernels isn't quite as odd a
# case as it might seem...
#
# Say i've got a machine which automatically detects the boot (root)
# device and sets the swap device by default to the 'b' partition of the
# root device.  'generic-ish' kernels like that aren't too uncommon
# on ports that can do that.  In fact, i run nothing else (except to
# test 8-) on most of my alphas...

Speaking of swap devices and such, what are the chances that we'll
have a swap handler which will allow one to dynamically add swap devices
on a "swap generic" kernel?  Recompiling a kernel just because I've
added a new disk and want to spread swap about a bit is becoming less
than acceptable.

				--*greywolf;