Subject: Re: Mail list envelope sender address
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/12/1996 14:42:34
Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl> writes:

> Dear mailing list administrator (I hope) (CC: the current-users list),
>
> would you please stop changing the mail envelope sender address
> to weird values as shown below:
>
> > From current-users-owner-rhialto=polder.ubc.kun.nl@NetBSD.ORG  Sat Nov  9 12:31:44 1996

This is due to some changes J.T. made so that majordomo can
automatically detect who it got a bounce for.  It's done by a couple
of other mailing list packages as well.

> and I could also do without these:

The `Received' lines have, and always will be, inserted so that errant
mail can be tracked.  The `Delivered-To' line is critical for loop
detection.

I believe the operative word is: `Suffer.'

> and please make sure people can't mail to current-users-outgoing or
> other internal aliases (as happened a few times last week),

J.T.'s changes should also make this impossible.  (Or at least that's
what I was told.  I haven't checked.)

> Please? I just got tons of mail in my main mailbox instead of my
> netbsd mailbox, because my procmail filtering rule was suddenly
> incorrect.

I'd agree that the change should have been announced in advance.