Subject: Re: vmstat, iostat etc no longer work?
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Greg Hudson <ghudson@mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/11/1996 21:09:28
> My complaint with the current kmem interface is not about what it
> will provide or how. but it reliance on /netbsd. The silly kernel
> knows where it's hiding all these variables, why can't it tell
> userland?

At least one core team member (mycroft) has expressed support for the
idea that the kernel should always keep the symbol table in core
(right now it does if DDB is defined; the idea is that if DDB isn't
defined, you'd mark the pages as pageable but still keep them) and
return the address if the in-core symbol table using sysctl.  This
would eliminate the dependence on /netbsd.

I looked at doing this, but I'm really not qualified.  I also don't
know if there are issues on the non-i386 ports, since the boot loader
code is involved.

(There's also the matter of sorting the symbol table to speed DDB
symbol lookups, but that might have already been done while I wasn't
paying attention.)