Subject: Re: pppd as login shell
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/11/1996 13:50:11
On Nov 11,  8:15am, Curt Sampson wrote:
} On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, John Nemeth wrote:
}
} > } How about using smart serial cards?
} >
} >      By the time I pay for those and/or write the necessary drivers, I
} > might as well buy a terminal server.
}
} You could take the cards out of your NetBlazer. :-) (After all,
} all a NetBlazer is is a $5000 486. :-))

     Yeah, but do you have NetBSD drivers for those cards?  Besides, a
NetBlazer is much easier to maintain then a full blown UNIX system,
and has an OS optimised for the job it does.

} >      However, this does bring up an interesting idea.  Could a RADIUS
} > server, or client be modified/written that could replace getty/login?
}
} It's been done several times, actually. However, it gets a bit
} messy.  If you have an mgetty just starting pppd, and pppd uses

     I've done this trick.

} useful. However, using Radius for shell account authentication gets
} a bit interesting, because there are a lot of other places in the
} system that rely on passwd file information.

     I thought most of the RADIUS servers were capable of using the
system passwd file?

}-- End of excerpt from Curt Sampson