Subject: Re: LKM support
To: None <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/11/1996 11:40:02
> Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 12:26:18 -0500
> From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>

>     Perry> I would like to see a new MFS built that actually can grow
>     Perry> and shrink its use of real memory and which takes solid
>     Perry> advantage of the fact that RAM is not disk to optimize
>     Perry> allocation.
>
>   It would also be useful if the "preload" function could read/extract
> either dump or tar/pax/cpio format (just one of those!) from a device,
> maybe including a TFTP file.

That is exactly the reason I put together the "ramdisk" driver,
which has equivalent functionality as MFS, but has the advantage
of being a "real device" with an attach/open functions that can
be customized to setup/load the memory respectively.

The port-specific rd_root.c module can easily load the memory from
whatever device/media you want.  (I did an example implementation
for the i386 port that loads a root ramdisk from the floppy.)

Gordon