Subject: Re: vmstat, iostat etc no longer work?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ian Dall <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/11/1996 16:46:36
Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:

  > Typically, it's simply a structure definition in a header file.  In
  > theory, you'd only need to fetch the file that changed.

Assuming you already have the rest of the sources. And of course
if I could run SUP it would do it all automatically. The point is
we don't all want or need to compile the world, whereas I do need
to be able to compile the kernel.

  > I think the FTP server disallows "tar.gz" specifically because of
  > extra load, but it's worth looking into.

It seems to me that if it can be disabled at the subsystem or above
levels but enabled at the individual program or library level then it
would be a reasonable compromise. If anyone wants sys.tar.gz then they
can and should go to the directory of pre-tarred sources but if they
want to get say just the scsi code, they can get scsi.tar.gz and have
it auto tar and gzip.

Even if I could run SUP, it would be overkill to maintain the whole
system.  I don't need to keep up to date with everything. For most of
the user code I am happy to use the binaries from one update to the
next unless there are annoying bugs. Am I the only person that ever
wants to do this?

Oh well, in the mean time it looks like I will be doing a lot of
down loading.

Ian