Subject: Re: vmstat, iostat etc no longer work?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ian Dall <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/11/1996 13:23:33
Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:

  > On Sun, 10 Nov 1996 17:47:31 -0800 (PST)
  >  Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca> wrote:

  >> No doubt. This happens on a pretty regular basis.

  > Not _that_ regular...

I didn't think it was frequent either. It didn't change for the life
of 1.1 so when it appears to have changed soon after the 1.2 release,
I thought I would ask before building heaps of stuff.

The building as such, is not really any big deal, but the downloading
is. BTW, is there any reason the archives don't support auto tar and
gzip? I understand you wouldn't want the load on the server of people
getting large trees, but for me it would be a big saving in network
bandwidth if I could just get libkvm.tar.gz, iostat.tar.gz,
vmstat.tar.gz and ps.tar.gz. To get these in pre-tared files I have to
get lib.tar.gz, bin.tar.gz, usr.sbin.tar.gz and usr.bin.tar.gz which
is overkill if I only want to recompile a few things.

So, it would help if someone can tell me with authority what has
changed (rather than just what *might* have changed).  It seems that
anything which uses kvm has changed. If these programs are dynamically
linked, can I just update libkvm, or will I need to rebuild the
utilities as well?

Ian