Subject: Re: LKM support
To: Jim Wise <jw250@columbia.edu>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/09/1996 12:49:54

> On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Frank van der Linden wrote:
>
> When you load a module, using ml, you can use `ml ld ...' to load a
> module, which is the same as modload under NetBSD, or you can use
> `ml reg ...' to `register' a module.  A registered module is duly noted by
> the kernel, but is not loaded until it is used.  This makes it possible,
> for example, to have a kernel which can use any supported device, but
> which is hardly larger than a kernel stripped to just those devices which
> are present.

Would you recommend a change to modload (such as "modload -R", for
example) or a new program and interface (called "modreg" maybe) to do
the registrations?

> IMHO, this is a _much_ better solution than having the kernel go looking
> for LKMs as needed, as it allows explicit control over which LKMs the
> kernel can load, and also allows ldconfig-style shortcuts to be built for
> registered modules

I think this sounds like a really intriguing idea.  The only problem I
can see with it is getting a sponsor to start the code development.

--
Dave Burgess  (The man of a thousand E-Mail addresses)
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom