Subject: Re: JDK on *BSD
To: None <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.quick.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/08/1996 13:02:48
Rob Black writes:
>Unless Sun have changed their license recently people can't distribute binaries
>without passing the test suite. This means that as far as binary distributions
>go it is a full port or nothing.

Yes they have changed the license.  See
http://www.javasoft.com/nav/business/source.html
http://www.javasoft.com/nav/business/source_faq.html

you can use the source to port the JDK for internal use, or if you
are prepared to grant rights to the port to Sun you can also
distribute binaries - for no change.

If you want to sell your port you need a commercial license.

All in all I was totally pleased with Sun's attitude to JDK
source licensing.  It took less than 24hrs  to fax them an
agreement (I thought the terms fair and reasonable) and obtain
ftp access to the source. No, the license specifically rules
out distributing the source - though diffs are ok.

Sun are obviously determined to see java spread.

For now though, I'm using kaffe to run the sun java compiler
as it just works out of the box and gives me what I need.

--sjg