Subject: Re: Anyone working on support of NTFS in NetBSD?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, perry@piermont.com>
From: Bert Driehuis <driehuis@playbeing.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/05/1996 08:00:02
>> Actually, NTFS is a very well written, robust filesystem.
>>
>> There is a book from Microsoft Press that tells all about how NTFS
>> works.  But I don't know that it goes far enough to tell you how to
>> write an NTFS driver.
>
>As I recall, it looked remarkably like FFS, although no acknowledgment
>was made of this fact by Microsoft. I remember seeing a published
>paper on it. I'd bet that modifications would be sufficient.

>From what little I know of NTFS, it has more than a passing likeness to the
VMS ODS-2 file system in the way that security information is stored. I.e.,
there must be a database somewhere that contains the name to number
mappings of the rights identifiers, and there must be access control lists
as part of the directory structure that use these rights identifiers.

I think this topic alone is worth a lot of nightmares, it doesn't map
easily to BSD's model of a file system.

						-- Bert Driehuis

------
Bert Driehuis                 God, grant me the serenity to accept the things
driehuis@playbeing.org        I can't change, courage to change the things I
                              can, and the wisdom to know the difference.