Subject: Re: inetd: server looping
To: None <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.quick.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/05/1996 17:59:14
Jukka Marin writes:
>  Nov  4 17:37:58 goofy inetd[93]: teleporter/tcp server failing (looping),
>                  service terminated

>my server doing wrong?  It shouldn't be 'looping' in any way - it is possible
>that lots of server processes are started within a short period of time, but
>this can't be helped.

inetd's default is that if it starts a service more than 40 times in a
minute - it must be looping (ie. terminating early).

NetBSD's inetd allows you to change the max expected invocations on a
per service basis:

     beginning of a line.  There must be an entry for each field.  The fields
     of the configuration file are as follows:

           service name
           socket type
           protocol
           wait/nowait[.max]
           user[.group]
           server program
           server program arguments

     to spawn new servers.  The optional ``max'' suffix (separated from
     ``wait'' or ``nowait'' by a dot) specifies the maximum number of server
     instances that may be spawned from inetd within an interval of 60 sec-
     onds. When omitted, ``max'' defaults to 40.