Subject: More SCSI problems
To: current users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/04/1996 05:42:35
OK, I've seen quite a few posts over the last couple of months or so
about various SCSI errors.  Most of these seem to have been attributed to
certain Quantum hard drives.

Well, I had a situation yesterdy where I had to fsck my partitions for
the first time in many months, and I got the same kind of error messages
about "CANNOT READ BLOCK n".  And I don't have a Quantum drive - mine is
a DEC RZ74C (3.5GB, 5400 RPM).  Rerunning fsck gave me the same errors,
but on different partitions and different block numbers - never got a
repeated block number in six fsck's on all five of my partitions.

Just to add more fuel to the fire, I decided (after getting through fsck
finally) that I really should have a current backup.  So I ran dump to
copy everything to my Exabyte tape drive.  On three of my partitions, I
got several (2 to 4) messages from dump, complaining about "short read"
errors.  Most of these were requests of 8192 bytes delivering only 8191,
but a couple were shorter reads.  In all cases, dump indicated that it
got one byte less than it asked for.

So, it looks like the problem is more widespread than just those certain
Quantum mechanisms...