Subject: Re: Anyone working on support of NTFS in NetBSD?
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/01/1996 19:22:21
>> >Is anyone working on this? Or is the the structure so proprietary
>> >that Microsoft doesn't want to release it to the general public? (Or
>> >is it just so ugly no one wants to work on it?)

>"Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" writes:
>> Actually, NTFS is a very well written, robust filesystem.
>> There is a book from Microsoft Press that tells all about how NTFS
>> works.  But I don't know that it goes far enough to tell you how to
>> write an NTFS driver.

>As I recall, it looked remarkably like FFS, although no acknowledgment
>was made of this fact by Microsoft. I remember seeing a published
>paper on it. I'd bet that modifications would be sufficient.

Actually, it probably looks more like LFS than FFS. :-)  It's been
awhile since I read up on it, but if I remember correctly, it's
essentially a log-based file system at heart.  Internally, it
resembles FFS very little.  Unfortunately, it doesn't use cluster
"fragments" like FFS does.  On the other hand, it has some very
sophisticated recovery fault-tolerant features in its design.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net