Subject: Re: Bug in regex library?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 10/30/1996 06:14:15
>> Well...the reason it bites you is that our off_t, and therefore
>> regoff_t, are larger than long ints.

> And why is regoff_t typedefed to off_t?  I'd think something like
> size_t or ssize_t would be more appropriate.

regex(3) says, in part,

	Otherwise, pmatch points to an array of nmatch structures of
	type regmatch_t.  Such a structure has at least the members
	rm_so and rm_eo, both of type regoff_t (a signed arithmetic
	type at least as large as an off_t and a ssize_t), [...]

Why this spec was chosen I have no idea.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
		     01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D