Subject: Re: uugetty for NetBSD
To: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/1996 13:02:58
On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, der Mouse wrote:

> Personally?  I don't like things that mutate based on argv[0].  It is
> rarely useful and even more rarely justifiable, in my opinion.  If you
> insist, I could live with that default, but I still want to be able to
> override it in either direction.  (It's really obnoxious to have to
> write a wrapper that passes an argv[0] string that doesn't point to the
> executable just to coax it into behaving....)

So what you're saying is that given /usr/libexec/uugetty hard linked
to /usr/libexec/getty, you want a way to run uugetty and have it
not lock, and a way to run getty and have it lock. I'm not sure I
see the difference between `getty' vs. `uugetty' and `getty -n'
vs. `getty -l' (or whatever). After all, in the end they're both
just arbitrary strings.

We have plenty of other programs under NetBSD that work this way,
such as Mail/mailx, at/atq/atrm/batch, chfn/chpass/chsh, uptime/w,
zcmp/zdiff, passwd/yppasswd, reset/tset, compress/uncompress,
gunzip/gzcat/gzip/zcat, hexdump/od, egrep/fgrep/grep, ex/vi/view,
less/more/page, sendmail/mailq/newaliases, quotaoff/quotaon, just
to name a few...

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.