Subject: Re: uugetty for NetBSD
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Grey Wolf <greywolf@siva.captech.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/1996 10:42:23
Jukka Marin sez:
# der Mouse> Personally?  I don't like things that mutate based on argv[0].
#
# Haven't looked at at/atq/atrm/batch or chsh/chfn/chpass or.... ?  :-)

Well, historically, chfn/chsh/chpass were available also thru "passwd -[fsp]".

And isn't "batch" equivalent to "at -b"?

I think der Mouse objects to things that inalterably mutate based on argv[0],
with no way of forcing them to do something else.

I would agree, for the most part, that this practice is somewhat evil.

There are times where I have found it fairly benign, and that is where
several simple programs can be linked to one executable.  I used to
live on a system in which cp/mv/ln were the same program.  Considering
that these operations were pretty innocuous and usually trivial, having
a switch()ed function vector to handle the various operations was not
a big deal.  Of course, once cp decided to handle recursive copies,
the code began to suffer for this one.

Then there's a few scripts I keep around where, if they begin with 't' (not
all of them, just some of them), they forcibly start a terminal version
of something usually posted to an X display.  This has proven occasionally
useful -- they default to non-X mode if they can't discern the $DISPLAY.

#
#   -jm
#
# --