Subject: Re: arch on ftp.netbsd.org
To: Jonathan O'Brien <obrien@phoenix.sfsu.edu>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/26/1996 16:33:35
> I just setup a mirror of netbsd.org, and I noticed it no longer
> fits on 1 2.1g drive. We could bring it back under 2.1g (at least
> for a little while :) if all the port maintainers could go back and
> remove all the pre-1.2 snapshots and pre-releases and make a sym-link
> back to the 1.2 distribution like the alpha port. This would save
> around 280Mb and possibly cut down on any confusion a newcomer might
> have about what to grab.

Just for the record: The alpha port uses symlinks for the 'NetBSD-1.2'
and '960913' entries in pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha, both pointing back
pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.2/alpha, or wherever it is.  At no point in the
1.2 release cycle were two copies of NetBSD/alpha 1.2 available as
complete sets of files from the ftp site.  As you point out, that'd be
rather wasteful.  Check ftp.netbsd.org, if you want to see how things
are set up (and have been for quite some time).

I could easily believe that sup and/or supscan is configured to send
all of the files, rather than the symlinks...  However, that's not in
my sphere of influence...

cgd