Subject: arch on ftp.netbsd.org
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan O'Brien <obrien@phoenix.sfsu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/26/1996 10:52:28
Howdy,

I just setup a mirror of netbsd.org, and I noticed it no longer
fits on 1 2.1g drive. We could bring it back under 2.1g (at least
for a little while :) if all the port maintainers could go back and
remove all the pre-1.2 snapshots and pre-releases and make a sym-link
back to the 1.2 distribution like the alpha port. This would save
around 280Mb and possibly cut down on any confusion a newcomer might
have about what to grab.

Also I've noticed that some ports distribute in tarfile and split
formats. It would be nice to pick the one that adds the most value
and provide detailed instructions to convert to the other. Ultimately
it would be a good thing for every architecture of a release to be
layed out in the same format with the exception of any MD bits.

Am I volunteering to do some RE work? Well, maybe...

Jon