Subject: Re: Multiprocessor Yes/No?
To: der Mouse <mouse@holo.rodents.montreal.qc.ca>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/24/1996 23:21:46
>> NetBSD does not in any way support multiple CPUs(*).  Period.
>> (*) Of course, taken too literally, you could say that graphics
>> co-processors, FPUs, and bus-mastering controller processors [...]

>Um...I think NetBSD runs on some multi-CPU machines, it just doesn't
>use more than one CPU.  Depending on the circumstances, this may or may

Correct.  But it has no concept of any CPU except the first.  So, it
doesn't "support" any beyond the first. :-)

Basically, it's just oblivious to the whole thing, and just rambles
along in its single-CPU euphoria...

The point I was trying to make is that the non-support of SMP isn't a
port-specific issue.  NetBSD simply has no concept of multi-CPU at
all, in the general case.  So, it doesn't matter what architecture
you're talking about, it's still not going to run on anything but a
single CPU.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net