Subject: Re: Multi-Processor support
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, markus@tiger.teuto.de, rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 10/22/1996 21:55:10
"Markus Illenseer" <markus@tiger.teuto.de> wrote:
> Olaf Seibert wrote:
> > I'd love to run NetBSD (as an option) on my dual-PPC BeBox, of course. I
> > noticed the PPC stuff in the sup logs, I guess I'll go and have a look
> > at it.
>
>  You're most welcome - unfortunately we lack for serious devlopers for the
> Be-Port.  Current NetBSD/PowerPC requires OpenFiremware Support (the way to
> go, even for Intel-based machines).  It is rumrored though, that Be is
> going to implement OFW.

Currently the BeBox is PReP, but it is supposed to become CHRP/whatever
almost as soon as its name and definition are fixed. If that includes
OFW then the BeBox will support it.

There is currently a Linux version for the BeBox. It boots by using a
floppy that masquerades as a BeOS boot disk. I have read that it has SMP
support but in the very crude form of a single lock around the kernel.
I have not verified that or tried it yet, but if this is true I'd say
that NetBSD can do better ;-)

> Markus Illenseer
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert      D787B44DFC896063 4CBB95A5BD1DAA96
\X/ Ceci n'est pas un Magritte          rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl