Subject: Re: i386/m68k binary conversion
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 10/22/1996 10:47:42
> Really, the only part you need to write is a front end for gcc that
> can turn assembly code for a given processor (i386 in this case) into
> gcc's RTL; think of it as the back end in reverse.  Just a SMOP. =:-O

> The full chain would look something like:

> objdump | <asm parser for A> | gcc backend for B | as | ld

Well, there's a problem: text segments often contain things other than
executable instructions.  Common examples are string literals and jump
tables.  Even _identifying_ such things can be hard, never mind
correctly mapping them.  (I speak from experience here, having done
disassembly and uncompilation for VAX, SPARC, and 68k code in the past.
If a _human_ has trouble, it will border on impossible for a _program_
to have a prayer.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
		     01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D