Subject: README: new bus.h
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 10/21/1996 16:24:39
This is important to read if you use any devices on the i386 or alpha
ports.  :-)

During a discussion a few months ago, it became apparent that the
bus.h interface needed a bit of re-working in order to be able to deal
with certain types of devices in a sane way (specifically, MI chipset
drivers which may have i/o-mapped _and_ memory-mapped hardware
implementations).

Today, I committed the 17,000+ lines of diffs that implement the new
interface on the i386 and convert the existing bus.h-using drivers
used by the i386 port.

NOTE: The changes required to implement these on the alpha have _not_
been committed yet!  This means that alpha users will not be able to
compile kernels until Chris Demetriou updates the alpha code base.
He has indicated to me that he plans to do that before this weekend.
So, if you're running NetBSD/alpha, and are tracking -current, you may
want to wait until next week to update your kernel sources.

I've been running these changes for some time now on my i486 EISA system,
with no ill effects.

If you encounter any problems, please contact me ASAP!  I would also
appreciate it if problems with the changes were submitted as bug reports
via send-pr(1).  I don't want any problems that might creep up to
slip through the cracks.

On that note, I don't anticipate any problems.  Aside from the
mapping stuff, the changes were mostly mechanical.  I've compiled
every bus.h-using driver with the changes, so there's no worry about
them not compiling, at least.  :-)

In any case, I'll be around until Saturday to answer bus.h questions,
at which time I'm off to Seattle for OSDI.  I'll be gone for the next
week/weekend, so if you don't catch me by Saturday, you probably
won't get much back from me until Monday, November 4.  (Hmm, I can
see the mail piling up now!  :-)

Have fun!