Subject: Re: Addition to options(4)
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/20/1996 08:10:56
	In addition, you can say COMCONSOLE=X
on the I386 port to set the console port to port X.  Works real well, I use
it a lot.
-Brian

On Oct 20, 12:22am, Jukka Marin wrote:
} Subject: Addition to options(4)
} The options(4) man page (preliminary) doesn't mention the serial port
} console options.  This appears to work on the i386 port:
}
} options         COMCONSOLE
} options         CONSPEED=9600
}
} The first one enables the console on the com0 port (first com port on
} the motherboard) and the second makes sure the speed is set to 9600 bps
} (I'm not sure if this is really necessary).  If you want to get a getty
} on the serial console, you have to say
}
} console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
}
} in /etc/ttys.
}
} I don't know what ports have the serial port console option.  Sparc does,
} but no COMCONSOLE is required in the kernel config file.  Instead, you
} set the "input-device" and "output-device" to "ttya" or "ttyb" in the
} EEPROM.
}
} I would have e-mailed this to the person writing the options man page but
} I couldn't find his e-mail address...
}
}   -jm
}