Subject: Re: Current kernel has routing problems?
To: Wiker, Raymond <etorwi@eto.ericsson.se>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/16/1996 11:35:36
On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, Wiker, Raymond wrote:

> 	BTW: Is there a way to set up pppd with demand-dialling and a
> variable remote address?

It can't be variable because the address must exist when you're not
connected, so that you can have a route to it. When that route is used,
pppd knows to bring the link up.

However, this is a point-to-point line, so pppd shouldn't really
care about the address of the other end. (It's not like it's got
any other place to send the packets.) This is the case for the pppd
in NetBSD 1.2, at least. So just set any address for the remote
end. (I use the address of one of the three Portmasters I might
connect to.)

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.