Subject: Re: Two Copies of Libcrypt?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Theo de Raadt <deraadt@theos.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/10/1996 01:39:47
>  >  Just to enlighten my ignorance, what is then found in the NetBSD-1.2
>  > binary distributions:
>  >
>  > amiga/security
>  > atari/security
>  > hp300/security
>  > i386/security/Tarfiles
>  > i386/security/secr12
>  > i386/security
>  > x68k/security/secr12
>  > x68k/security/Tarfiles
>  > x68k/security
>  >
>  >  Can I generate a _working_ NetBSD-1.2 Distribution by just removing the
>  > above archives?
>
> Those contain the binaries built from src/domestic.. If you're outside
> the US, then you _should not_ download those files!
>
> You can have a running system without them...

Yes, you can have a crippled but usable system without it.  For some,
the lack of proper crypt support in their system can be a problem.

Instead, however, those users may also want to consider OpenBSD (which
is doing a release in the next week or so) as an option.  OpenBSD ships
with DES and KerberosIV completely integrated.

OpenBSD is an option.  This isn't really an advertisement, because
having real DES and KerberosIV integrated is something some people
outside the USA are going to need.  NetBSD does not supply them with
this capability.  FreeBSD also supplies non-USA people with crypto
capabilities, though it isn't 100% completely integrated, via a site
in South Africa.

OpenBSD is permitted to export crypto since it is shipped from Canada.
Canada's export laws have no prohibition on the export of "free
crypto".  (A number of other `forms' of crypto are also exportable,
but the most noteable and relevant form as is "free crypto", as it was
described to me by the officials.)

Since we can integrate crypto, we have integrated it as much as we
can.  In the future we hope to integrated IPv6 and IPSEC in their full
crypto-enabled glory.

By the way, in passing I should note that Americans may import crypto
from other places in the world.  They are only prevented from
exporting (or re-exporting) it.  The way OpenBSD is attacking this
problem is "Make the americans suffer for their countries laws,
perhaps later americans will benefit when their government wisens up".

Perhaps if OpenBSD gathers a large following the US government will
figure it out (haha, I joke).