Subject: Re: Upcoming Gateway! CD-ROM - you decide!
To: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/08/1996 18:58:22
According to Curt Sampson:

>FTP has restarts only if you've an appropriate client.

Appropriate client AND server - if the server does not support the
reget command you lose.

> I don't
>believe that most web browsers, for example, do restarts. Yet most
>large programs downloading through the Internet these days (Netscape,
>Explorer, other 5-10MB packages) come as one large file. From this I
>presume that transfers aborting is not a major problem.

Either that or they assume everyone has a reliable, fast link.  From
the number of pages that dump all their functionality into one lovely
graphic that you need to click on I think the assumption you have a
fast link is the norm.  You need to experience WWW over 9600 baud to
know the pain.

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.