Subject: Re: Removing Empty Directories from a CVS Checkout
To: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <oskar@unna.ping.de>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/06/1996 13:28:30

--1360147542-465516983-844633710=:16385

On Sun, 6 Oct 1996, Jan-Hinrich Fessel wrote:

> That's fine, but how do i get these empty directories?
> I sup into a local reference tree.
> I do an import into another CVS master tree.
> How can I remove directories and files deleted by sup in the reference tree
> from the CVS master tree?
> I did not find any option for cvs import that even tells me that files in the
> CVS master tree are no longer present in the tree imported.

You'll probably want to go over the section on importing in the
CVS reference manual several times; it's not entirely clear on the
first go. Also, the CVS FAQ, despite no longer being maintained,
has good information on this.

Essentially, it works like this:

1. sup into your local tree, `sup'.

2. Checkout a copy of your last import from the sup tree into
`checkout'.

3. Now we figure out which files to delete:

	cd sup/src
	find . -print | sort >/tmp/tree.new
	cd checkout/src
	find . -print | egrep -v '/CVS$|/CVS/' | sort >/tmp/tree.old
	comm -23 /tmp/tree.old /tmp/tree.new >/tmp/delete
	xargs rm </tmp/delete
	xargs cvs -q remove </tmp/delete
	cvs -q update -m "new version pre-import"

4. Now you can go into your sup tree and do an import.

I had to read both the documentation and the FAQ a couple of times
and do some practice runs on small trees I'd constructed myself
before I got the hang of this.

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.

--1360147542-465516983-844633710=:16385--