Subject: Re: firewall/gateway/proxy question
To: None <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
From: Marc Boschma <marcb@bms.itg.telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/04/1996 16:57:50
>I'm looking for suggestions on what to run to do this.

>I have one computer that connects to my ISP (NetBSD-current, of
>course), with a single, fixed IP#.  I have two other machines (one
>Windows NT, and one NetBSD) behind it, which I would like to gateway
>through it.  However, with only this single IP# to the outside world.

>I think that means I need to run some kind of firewall and/or proxy
>server.  I don't think socks will be sufficient, since it doesn't
>transparently proxy my NT box, through the NetBSD gateway, to the
>world.

>I've never paid much attention to this before, so I'm not sure where
>to start looking.  Suggestions?

How about pairing fwtk and ipfilter ?

Look at http://cheops.anu.edu.au/~avalon/examples.html#redirection for
transparent proxies.

Also for ipfilter http://cheops.anu.edu.au/~avalon/ is a good starting point

It might take some intergration work. ie. passing the destination to the
proxy. I have seen this done with the SGI version of Gauntlet.

I would be interested in your experiences, if you go down this path.

Marc B.
-------
  _-_|\   Marc A. Boschma           Email: marcb@telstra.com.au
 /     \  Broadband & Multimedia    Phone: +61 3 9634 8798 Fax: +61 3 9634 5469
 \_.^\*/  Systems, Network Systems  Smail: Locked Bag No. 4840
      v   Telstra Corporation              Melbourne, VIC 8100, Australia
          WWW Home Page