Subject: Re: i386/m68k binary conversion
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/1996 21:36:07

Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org> writes:
>SoftPC also runs on SGI's (MIPS based) as well as Sparc and others, so yes,
>there is an interpreter.  There's also a mac-on-a-i386-box thing as well.

Actually, the thing they're really into big these days is SoftWin (or
something like that).  Not only does it do the PC emulation, but it
maps Windows API calls to native window manager calls (X, Mac, etc.)
for a large performance gain (over straight emulation).

I believe the company's name is "Insignia", or something like that.
And it runs on a lot of different machines (Mac 68K and PowerPC, many
versions of Unix + X, and I believe was, or still is, the underlying
technology in RISC versions of NT that allow them to run X86
binaries).

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net