Subject: Re: Mac<->Unix file mirroring
To: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
From: Tom I Helbekkmo <tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/1996 22:01:09
On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Julian Bean wrote:

> Then I tried actually editing them in situ using CAP.  This was painfully
> slow, and caused frequent crashes of my mac.

That's really weird -- I've had only good experiences with CAP, on
Ultrix/MIPS and NetBSD/i386 platforms.  It's not the fastest Macintosh
disk server in the world, but pretty good -- certainly a lot faster
than DEC MSA on VAX/VMS, even with the 4000/700 machines we run at
work.  The fact that your Mac crashes indicates that something is
wrong with _it_, not with CAP, I'd say.

Is anyone looking into getting netatalk to work with NetBSD?  They've
got a FreeBSD port of it now, which I believe relies on certain
changes in the FreeBSD kernel to accommodate it.  Is our kernel very
different from the FreeBSD one as far as putting in another protocol
stack goes?  If not, maybe extending the FreeBSD support to include
NetBSD isn't a very big job at all -- at least if we can get someone
to explain what they had to do to the FreeBSD kernel source to prepare
it for the netatalk port...

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"