Subject: Re: new lkm stuff ?
To: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/1996 11:34:11
According to Julian Bean:

>That's not strictly dynamic, though.  At least you don't have to rebuild
>kernels (this feature was quite possibly implemented so Sun could justify
>not distribute kernel-compiling kits).

If you know the correct commands, it is truly dynamic.  You can just
pause the machine at the prom prompt (L1-A), whack a new tape drive on
(for instance) and go again.  Then if you run drvconfig followed by
tapes (or disks if you added disk) you will be able to access the tape
drive without having to reboot the machine.  I have done this a few
times myself, it appears to work quite nicely.

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.