To: James Graham <greywolf@siva.captech.com>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/1996 20:26:55
>*smeksmeksmek* Hey!  WAKE UP!
>
>	--> mirroring != striping <--

It amazes me how rude people are during technical discussions.
First I have to read things like "Hint: <blah>", now this.
It doesn't make it any less rude if the comments are technically
incorrect.  Lets keep the discussion on a technical basis, please.

Of course mirroring != striping.  From the point of design, it
doesn't matter that that they are.  The point is that you should
be able to apply VM management to *any* partition even if some
of the formating choices are restricted by the way a particular
machine boots.

>I think _mirroring_ the root drive is a good idea.
>
>I think _striping_ the root drive is suicidal.

RAID 5 is a form of striping and wouldn't necessarily be overkill
especially if you consider that what I really want to do with my
5 identical disks is to stripe *all* of their space regardless of
the fact that a small part of the total space is / and /usr.  My
other choice is to either lose part of all 5 disks from my stripe
set, or buy two additional disks so that I can mirror just / and /usr.
The fact that some machines prevent you from booting to a striped
volume sucks, but that doesn't mean that your design shouldn't
allow it for those that can.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations