Subject: Re: i386/m68k binary conversion
To: None <jose@alexandria.net>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/1996 21:33:16
> Would it be possible to convert a binary program or library for
> NetBSD-i386 to m68k-NetBSD binary fomat with some sort of conversion
> program?  Just curious.

In principle, yes, but since it would mean either building an i386
machine code interpreter for the 68k or converting all the instructions
to analogous instructions (which amounts to the same thing except as
preprocessing rather than run-time), in practice the answer is probably
"no".

However, _someone_ has done something like this; I've seen a commercial
product called (I think) SoftPC, on a Mac, run Windows and other i386
DOS-box programs.  It was a RISC-cpu Mac, not a 68k Mac, but in
principle there's no real difference.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
		     01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D