Subject: Re: SNMPD for NetBSD
To: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <oskar@unna.ping.de>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <azcb0@sde.uts.amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/1996 16:04:26
> In message <199609302036.VAA07873@NetBSD.noc.EASYNET.NET>you write:
> > Has anyone got a snmpd to compile on NetBSD? ISODE/CMU/ANYTHING?
>
> Not even thinking of Host Resources MIB...
> I would even go with a compiled binary;-)

There's one in ISODE 8.0 patchlevel something, I can't remember if it
compiled or not.  I don't have a URL for the CMU snmpd, but I think
it's fairly old hat now.  There's one that compiles out of the box on
NetBSD/i386 1.2, though:

	ftp://ftp.ece/ucdavis.edu/pub/snmp/ucd-snmp-3.1.0.1.tar.gz

The author says that it's used on NetBSD 1.1. There are separate
definitions for SNMPV1, SNMPV2 and SNMPV2AUTH.

And, as usual, the obligatory "whilst I'm here"...

Whilst I'm here, I thought I'd tell people about a "ported software"
collection which I've built up.  For various reasons, it's not the
same as the FreeBSD ports stuff - they have too much of a fixation
with binaries for my purposes (and, IMHO, for NetBSD's, with all the
different platforms), and, for work reasons here, I needed something I
actually had complete control over.  However, it's functionally
equivalent - you type "make" and it does all the gubbins, including
installation. I've got a personal aversion to the pkgtools stuff, so
uninstallation is just a "make port_uninstall" in my ports collection.

There's over 100 different pieces of software I've amassed that will
compile on NetBSD so far, and the number is growing.  Where possible,
my patches are generic to 4.4BSD lite, and the collection does not
depend on the vagaries of the de Boer make.

If anyone wants to know more, drop me a line.

They'll be going onto a CDROM being produced by Westley Computing Ltd
(my wife's company) after 1.2 has been released - any month now.

Take care,
Alistair

PS. Nice to see the PowerPC port in the tree - what models does it
run on?

PPS. I'm trying to do a Snapshot Report at the moment. More anon.