Subject: Re: Use of exports...
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/1996 16:41:34
On Sat, 28 Sep 1996, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> >From /etc/exports:
>
> /u3             -maproot=root -alldirs XENO-SJ
>
> XENO-SJ is a netgroup that, among other things, includes granite.og.org.

What Jason didn't say is that the -alldirs flag requires that the
exported pathname be the root of a filesystem.  I quote from exports(5):

<cite>
There are two forms of this specification. [...]
The second is to specify the pathname of the root of the filesys-
tem followed by the -alldirs flag; this form allows the host(s) to mount
at any point within the filesystem, including regular files if the -r op-
tion is used on mountd.
</cite>

The -r flag referred to is clearly a documentation error, but the
restriction mentioned still stands.  Could this by the reason -alldirs
didn't work for you, Peter?

--scott