Subject: Compiling GNU tools....
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 09/25/1996 19:02:09
Argghhh..

Having received from a kind contributor to this list a patch for the NetBSD
libgcc Makefile to link in the exception handling code, I went to recompile
gcc.  Only to find that the gcc on my system isn't in a compilable state.

In fact, this doesn't matter - my new libgcc.a means I can write
exception-handling code - a new gcc executable wasn't necessary.

I am in the process of rebuilding from scratch (sup -o and so on...)
hopefully my problems will go away.

However, it does seem to me that we have a problem with gcc and friends,
due to the way we convert from GNU-distribs to BSD-style makefiles.  Can we
not come to some 'automatic wrapper' makefile arrangement like openBSD
purports to use (that info came from their website)?  It is irritating not
to have the ability to easily compile the latest version of critical
development tools.

And, as I asked in a previous post, shouldn't we submit mods to GNU and
become a 'supported' platform in their distribution?

If someone told me what needed doing, and it was within my capabilities,
I'm willing to help - it is holding my development efforts anyway ;-)

While I'm on the subject of development - libcurses.so seems to reference
[symbols defined in] libtermcap.so, [specifically _tgetstr] but doesn't
dynamically load it - why not?  On Solaris you can ldd
/usr/lib/libmylib.so, but our ldd seems to only support actual
executables...

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@mailbox.co.uk           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |                               |  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The 'net interprets censorship as damage, and routes around it.     |