Subject: filesystem caching
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Wohletz <greg@duke.CS.UNLV.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 09/20/1996 16:49:10
The other day I was looking for  a performance measure to indicate how
well  our fileservers were doing  with  regards to caching  filesystem
data.  In the course of doing this  I found that  the man page for the
vmstat subpart of the systat doesn't seem to match very well with what
systat is actually doing these days.   Specifically the information on
the  right side of the  screen  (the vm stat   stuff).  Looking at the
vmmeter stuff it isn't  clear what value  (if any) would correspond to
this statistic (disk buffers reclaimed from the free list).  Is such a
statistic kept by the  kernel anymore?  Or does it  no longer make any
sense  in the face of the  VM system changes? (The  last time i looked
seriously at the VM stuff was under 4.3).

						--Greg