Subject: Re: Diaspora, politics, and MI
To: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 09/19/1996 11:32:30
On Thu, 19 Sep 1996 10:16:15 -0700 (PDT)
 Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca> wrote:

 > Now, perhaps there are other reasons for those not going in yet.
 > I didn't notice that any of these mentioned much about testing.
 > Are there test requirements for these sorts of things? Do the folks
 > responsible for this particular PR have to compile it up and test
 > it themselves before it can go in? (If that's he case for the
 > majority of PRs, I can see how there would be a backlog.) Are they
 > willing to trust someone they don't know (say, me) to test this
 > fix, so that they don't have to do it themselves?

I personally would not feel comfortable committing a patch which was not
compiled and tested by the submitter.  It's also important that bug fixes
don't introduce new bugs.

 > BTW, I have a marginally cleaner fix for badsect(8) that has been
 > tested that I will be happy to send-pr if that's going to help get
 > the badsect(8) fix into 1.2.

It's too late for 1.2 (for example, I've built the final hp300 release,
others have built the releases for their ports...)  A fix to badesct(8)
could certainly be a candidate for the first 1.2 Official Patch.

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --