Subject: Re: Diaspora, politics, and MI
To: None <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/19/1996 12:06:57
> Date: Thu, 19 Sep 96 11:01:18 EDT
> From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>

> >Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 00:23:40 -0700
> >From: "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
>
> >Now, with that in mind, there are times I would like them to make
> >certain exceptions.  But, in general, the more strict they are about
> >this, the better for NetBSD in the long run.  It may not be as fancy
> >as some other OS', but it's certainly cleaner, and probably a bit less
> >buggy.
>
> In some respects, yes; but have you looked at the PR backlog lately?
>
> >I would bet money that they will be implemented eventually.  But,
> >there are only so many people, with so much time, and the people
> >willing and/or capable of doing this work just haven't gotten to it
> >yet.  What would help most is more people who are willing and capable
> >of doing this kind of work.  What would help almost as much is people
> >not quite capable of that level of work, helping out with more mundane
> >tasks that take time away from these other people.
>
> Are people supposed to volunteer, or do we get invited?
>
> What those of us without CVS access do now is send in PRs, but it's
> very discouraging to send in a bug fix and have it sit in the PR
> database for many months without any apparent action.

How many of those PRs include fixes for the bug described?
(And how many of those fixes are correct? 8^)

My experience has been that most bug reports do not include fixes.
This is unfortunate, because a volunteer project really needs for
people to take the time to try to come up with fixes...

Gordon