Subject: Re: Diaspora, politics, and MI
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 09/18/1996 23:49:39
> If having bounce buffers is your overriding technical concern, then you
> simply should not be running NetBSD, because it doesn't address that concern.
> (Unless, of course, you are willing to maintain a local patch.)  If it is
> not your overriding technical concern, then insisting that people abandon
> their concern for code quality in exchange for a quick fix is certainly
> inappropriate.

Would it be possible to maintain some "official" patches for bounce buffers,
com drivers, new device drivers that haven't been included in the tree etc.?
Some system to make it easy to install the selected patches in -current and
the release versions?

Maybe the patches could be maintained in parallel with the "standard" code
and included in /src/patches, for example?  Anyone could cd to
/src/patches/whatever and 'make install' there?  This would make it easier
to install a patch.  It might give more users the opportunity to try out
different "new" things like device drivers, so there would be more "beta
testers" for these things before they get included in the real tree?
It would also save lots of time for those who _need_ those things to be
able to run NetBSD at all.  No need to go hunting for various patches,
try to get them compiled under the latest -current etc.

Just a suggestion.  I'm sure someone can point out why this is completely
impossible.  *sigh* ;-)

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---