Subject: Re: tangent: bounce buffers.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/18/1996 04:11:00
John Nemeth writes:

>Then you might want to ask how this poor college student can
>afford to buy more then 16 MB of RAM [...].

Oh, that's easy.  You buy *exactly* 16MB RAM and have 384KB of it
remapped above 16MB.  Add a 1542 and voila!  BOOM.

>You might ask how this college student
>can afford SCSI hard drives, which are more expensive then IDE drives.
>Needless to say, if you can afford the RAM and SCSI HD's, you can
>probably afford a new motherboard and/or SCSI controller.

Perhaps, because you have the hardware lying around? 386DXen with 20,
24 and 32MB RAM weren't that uncommon.  Or 486DXen of various speeds
with only ISA slots.  They aren't unreasonable machines either.

--
Christoph Badura	bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org

You don't need to quote my .signature.  Everyone has seen it by now.
Besides, it doesn't add anything to the current thread.