Subject: Re: tangent: bounce buffers.
To: John Maier <JohnAM@datastorm.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 09/18/1996 10:16:03
On Tue, 17 Sep 96 09:05:00 PDT  John Maier wrote:

> Let's face it, in this day and time, a workstation running X on
> 16 Megs is poorly suited to do much more.  We have had a bad
> quarter and stocks have been hell, much the same as everyone else,
> and I doubt I'll be able to get a new $160 SCSI card for a
> UNIX machine.

Know what you mean.  A baby and a new house doesn't leave much in the
budget for computer bits...

> I have been rather desperate and have been trying to get one of
> unofficial bounce buffer patches for 1.1 to work for me, unfortunately
> as luck would have it, the 1542CF and my configuration don't work
> together.  So I am doomed to wait yet another release, in hopes of
> an official bounce buffer.

I had a few problems with bad CCB errors with a 1.1 kernel and the
bounce buffer patches.  I'm now running a 1.2-beta kernel, and 1.1
userland (mount_nfs, netstat, maybe a few other programs needed
updating) with great success...

Simon.
--
Simon Burge						simonb@telstra.com.au
UNIX Support, CPR Project.				+61 3 9634 3974 (Phone)