Subject: Re: tangent: bounce buffers.
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 09/16/1996 21:53:14
> Actually, it's not overblown for "our current needs," if you consider
> other ports besides the	i386.  And, i've explained this in detail
> several times before, when justifying the need for real MI bounce
> buffers.

This still sounds very sad to me.  As long as we don't have MI bounce
buffers, it's forbidden to have them on any arch.  As long as we don't
have a MI serial port driver which can keep up with high speeds, it's
illegal to have one for one arch only.  I understand the benefits of
MI code (as long as it doesn't degrade performance on any arch too
much), but I can imagine how the people feel when they can't have more
than 16 megs of RAM on their i386 boxes (unless they get new SCSI
controllers or even new motherboards).

It's like saying "you can't have a new car unless you buy one for me,
too".

Sigh.

  -jm

--