Subject: Re: memory tester shows up swap/page tuning bug [was Re: BUFFERCACHE, PR 1903]
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/15/1996 10:05:17
>> That should be /usr/sbin/chill ;).  If we care about VM performance
>> under overload conditions, shipping some kind of memory hog isn't such
>> a bad idea.
>
>Yes it is.  In fact, it's bloody stupid.
>
>Why give random users using somebody else's box a ready-made
>performance killer?  Even _if_ "vm performance under overload
>conditions" were "OK," it'd be much worse than if _not_ under overload
>conditions.
>
>Basically, you add a new binary whose only purpose is to eat memory,
>and you've created yet another annoyance for anyone concerned with
>what users do on his or her machine.
>

>chris

Isn't there a place in the tree for development tools that aren't included
in the standard binary releases?  I don't think that this type of utility
should be installed into standard binary locations, but it should be easy
for developers (perhaps looking to test for regressions) to get at/maintain
these kinds of utilities.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations