Subject: Re: memory tester shows up swap/page tuning bug [was Re: BUFFERCACHE, PR 1903]
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 09/15/1996 12:47:55
> That should be /usr/sbin/chill ;).  If we care about VM performance
> under overload conditions, shipping some kind of memory hog isn't such
> a bad idea.

Yes it is.  In fact, it's bloody stupid.

Why give random users using somebody else's box a ready-made
performance killer?  Even _if_ "vm performance under overload
conditions" were "OK," it'd be much worse than if _not_ under overload
conditions.

Basically, you add a new binary whose only purpose is to eat memory,
and you've created yet another annoyance for anyone concerned with
what users do on his or her machine.

chris