Subject: Re: BUFFERCACHE, PR 1903
To: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/14/1996 15:54:57
>> > The reason I'm curious is that we are once again having
>> > problems with occasional 15-20 second "lockups" of the
>> > machines when they start swapping. [...]

>> Me too.  The same happens on i386 and Sparc.  Pretty annoying. :-(

>You guys may want to go back and read Sean Doran's message sent
>to port-sparc on August 10 under the subject "System slowdown
>during paging", where he suggests tweaking the MAXSLP define in
>/sys/arch/xxx/include/vmparam.h.

Actually, it looks more to me like it isn't paging aggresively enough
to begin with.  So, when a heavy demand for memory comes all of a
sudden, it has to work too hard to try and free up enough memory.
What is notable is that it usually takes several of these multi-second
pauses for it to free up enough memory for everything to run again, in
many cases.

This is just how it "feels" to me.  I don't personally know anything
about the vm code.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net